Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Walls Have Ears

A few nights ago I was hanging out with some people at my neighbours' place. I had gone back to my place to get something and while I was standing near the door with my roommate's dog (yeah, I kinda have a dog now), I heard some people through the door. And guess what they were talking about...they were talking about whether or not I was gay. I was sort of in shock and just stood there listening through the door. It was a girl (who knew I was gay) and her boyfriend (who was questioning her). I was a bit surprised because pretty much everyone in this group I had hung out with on multiple occasions including this guy. I was a bit amused being the topic of discussion. For the record,he wasn't being homophobic in any way and I wasn't really offended or mad or anything like that. I think I'm just at the point where even when it doesn't come up directly, I just assume people know about me, usually because I make a lot of offhand comments mindlessly that could be construed as me "coming out" without me actually coming out. If you've met me at least three times, I subconsciously assume you know I'm gay. This was just an interesting situation.

As I was leaving for the night sometime later, a kind of whispered in his ear "If you have a question, just ask."

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that the conversation was loud enough for you to hear.

    I was with a friend last weekend at JMU. If he hasn't figured me out by now, he's dense. I never said the words, but the conversation and offhand comments should have clued him in! I feel the same way, don't ask the neighbors, ASK ME!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete