Friday, March 9, 2012

Nostalgic Indulgence

It all started with one of my Facebook friends saying something to the tune of "You're never too old for Saturday morning cartoons." The was last Friday or Saturday. Over the next couple of days, I spent hours watching my favorite Saturday morning cartoon of all time (and one of my favorite shows of all time), "X-Men: The Animated Series." Over the last week, I've probably watch that and "X-Men: Evolution" more than is healthy. Oh well...

If you have read this blog enough, you know I'm a huge fan of the X-Men. I wasn't much of a reader during my youth (my, how THAT'S changed) so I wasn't as into the comics as I was into the show and the films that have come out since. Still, when I was a kid I wanted to be an X-Man when I grew up.

Anyway, as I was watching some clips on YouTube, I came across a comment that talked about how, unlike virtually all cartoons aimed at kids, this was a very adult show in terms of the themes that it dealt with (i.e. discrimination among others) as well as the intelligence of many of the characters. How many kids shows quote Emily Dickinson or discus mythology and philosophy, love and loss? While this is something that I was vaguely aware of at the time, it didn't really hit me until I read that comment. Then I thought that it was probably another reason that I loved that show then and still do today. I think this clip typifies what I'm talking about. Watch and try to think of other kids shows you remember like it:


No comments:

Post a Comment