Thursday, May 9, 2013

Dreams of Steel

If you've been reading this blog over the last year or so, you know I'm a huge fan of "A Song of Ice & Fire" (a.k.a. A Game of Thrones). I'm currently watching the third season and rereading the third book, "A Storm of Swords." I have also watched lots of clips on YouTube and watched some episodes on DVD. It's such a great story. However, a problem has arisen over the last few weeks. The story is starting to mess with my dreams.

Last week, I had a dream where I was literally fighting for my life. I was on the verge of being killed by two men. I was screaming for help but no one came. I was defending myself by any means which I could...which was not much. When I finally awoke in the middle of the night, I was drenched in sweat, heaving for oxygen. You can probably guess that I didn't get back to sleep, meaning I got less than four hours that night.

The following night I had another dream yet not nearly as bad, though it was not nearly as bad. In this dream, instead of fighting for my own life, I had just heard about a family members death and was deeply in mourning. I awoke in the middle of the night again, yet not with the start of the previous night. I didn't even bother trying to get back to sleep this time, so I had a rough 48 hours (at least).

I had another such dream last night, but this one escapes my memory. I do remember, however, that it was unpleasant.

I'm almost at the end of the book and there are four more episodes left this season. As good as the story is, I need a break. It's taking too much of a toll on my sleep cycle, which is negatively effecting how productive I am during the day.

1 comment: