Friday, February 10, 2012

Super Bowl XLVI

I don't remember Roman numerals so well, but that's supposed to be 46. Anyway, there are some thoughts that I had while watching this game. Here are the bullet points:

THE GAME
-Seriously? You start out with a safety? Fail Patriots. Epic fail.
-I heard a girl yell "Let's go Buffalo!" where I was watching and...I just felt bad for her.
-I know the puppy Bowl is adorable and all, but is there any commercial value to its existence? How many people actually watch that?
-They kept showing Super Bowl rings from years passed and they just looked tacky and pretentious.
-The Giants were so close to sacking Tom Brady SO many times. It's like they forgot one of the fundamental of defense: a little thing I like to call TACKLING!!! It's a wonder they actually won the game.
-While I watch the whole game, I feel that had I missed the first half, I wouldn't have missed that much. Indicative of this is the fact that the first half ended 10-9 Patriots. It was pretty much a barn-burner though.

HALFTIME
-In general, I don't like Super Bowl halftime shows. They're generally over-hyped and lame/boring.
-There were a bunch of artists that I just don't care about (or even know who they are).
-I felt like I was on an acid trip (not that I know what that actually feels like).
-I'm not much of a Madonna fan (I know, I'm a bad gay), but they did the one Madonna song I love: Like A Prayer. I guess part of the appeal has always been it pissed of the theocrats when it came out (probably still does), but even that aside, it's great. So is Vogue




COMMERCIALS
-This year's commercial had a record amount of gay. This is definitely not a complaint, just pointing that out.
-What was it with those Coke commercials and Beethoven's Fifth Symphony? Someone in their marketing department must be a band geek (P.S. band geeks are awesome).
-I'm a little short on this segment for 2 reasons. A) The general consensus is that this year's ads were...mediocre. Some were okay, other were just blah. None were awesome (although the best for me was the one where the dog was trying to lose weight, but that one turned weird at the end). B) I'm one of those strange people that watches the game for THE GAME.

For the record, I was gunning for a win by the Giants despite the can of whoop-ass they served Green Bay in the playoffs. What can I say, I was feeling magnanimous. However, I would have won regardless, since a Giants loss would have shut the mouth of one of my coworkers, who I have mentioned here before. But the Giants won it so good for the NFC. Meanwhile, this is how Patriots Tight End Rob Gronkowski dealt with his team's lose:

Gronkowski (left)

No comments:

Post a Comment