Friday, September 21, 2012

Morandir: The Dark Rider

It's been about a year and a half since my last bike was stolen. Besides the fact that it had cost me just south of $600, not including maintenance, parts and such during the 2.5 years that I owned it, I loved that thing. Lorindol I named it, which is Sindarin (common Elvish, I know, I'm a nerd) for "golden head" because of the bike's colour. Most likely some drunken asshole took it and stupid me didn't lock it up properly. Well, what's done is done.

Now I have a new bike yet to be named, though I have a name in mind.

I worked a double today but had a few hours between shifts. I got out of the first one in time enough to head to the place where I got Lorindol and all of its maintenance. It's that as soon as I walked in, one of the guys said "How's it goin' Rob?" I was seriously surprised that he remembered me by name after not having set foot in the place (East Coasters) for 18 months. Then again, they are really nice guys, great service and I never had any complaints about them. Another one of the guys said that he finally got why he had seen me walking around town so much (since I am sans vehicle).

I managed to get almost everything I needed since I knew exactly what I was looking for unlike the last time around. I got the bike, a new lock, some lights, ordered the fenders (they didn't have what I needed in stock) and some lube...for the chain (get your head out of the gutter). I was in and out in about 40 minutes. I rode the quarter mile home. It was the first bike ride I had made since Lorindol was stolen, and my quads were on fire. It didn't really help that most of the ride was uphill and I haven't gone running in too long a time.

I said to the guys at East Coasters that I felt naked not having a bike. Seeing people ride by on theirs always made me a little sad. 18 months of that really took its toll. Luckily, I'm finally a rider again. Sooner or later I'll post a picture of my new baby.

1 comment:

  1. I need to refurb my old mountain bike, or buy something else. I miss riding it. It would be a nice break from all the gym work I do now. I can't ride to work or anything (NO way to get there without dying, and it's 22 miles by the shortest route), but a nice ride in the parks around here would be cool. hmmmmmm....
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete