Sunday, September 9, 2012

Weekend Update: Wild Wedding

Aww...
It's been a while since I've been to a wedding. The last one I went to was when my mom married my step-dad, 10 or so years ago. This wedding I went to yesterday was...interesting.

I went with my friend JP on the 3.5 hour drive from here to Chesterfield. I was not looking forward to the drive. The weather was being rather schizo Saturday. The first 30-60 minutes were okay. The rest of it, we were in and out of rain. We went through at least for bits of rain. The second to last storm was also foggy (somehow), which made it even worse. The last storm was the worst. It was an actual storm; thunder, lightning, the whole schtick. Visibility was practically none existent. After we passed through that, I text Rachel (the bride) that this storm may be on the way. I found out a bit later that this friendly warning only served to stress her out even more when she was already on pins and needles. Oops...

We had left around 1 and got there around 5. The last 40 miles took us an hour because of that last storm. The actual ceremony was supposed to start around 5:30. JP and I were taking some photos of the venue and such when I noticed that the sky was starting to look rather ominous. over the next 30 or so minutes, it just started to look worse and worse. I was getting worried that there would be a huge hiccup in this wedding ceremony, which was being held outside. Eventually they herded us into our seats and the ceremony began. Rachel was wearing an absolutely beautiful dress and she looked gorgeous in it. While the ceremony was going on, the wind was picking up. It got so strong that a tree branch a few yards off snapped off and fell, as did a hanging plant on the gazebo a few feet away from the bride and groom, which just made everyone laugh. I could only hear about half of what the priest (or whatever clergy person she was, I don't know her title) was saying despite the fact that she was mic'ed. Somehow, by the grace of God, they got through the ceremony before the storm. A mere few minutes later, it started pouring. Luckily, everyone was inside the tent (where the reception was held) or inside the building. 

JP and I ended up leaving around 8 or 9 on the 3.5 hour long drive home, which went far more smoothly.

Also, Virginia Tech curb-stomped some school in football. Seriously, I have no idea where this school is (Austin Peay???).

Damn, we're fine!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dodged a bullet there! Glad it went so well. I did learn a long time ago never to suggest anything negative to the bride (or groom or anyone else involved in the planning), it just got me in hot water.

    Austin Peay is in middle Tennessee, Clarksville, to be more exact.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete