Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekend Update: Speakeasy

For those who don't know, bars here in Virginia close at 2am. It's so unfortunate and I wish they were open until 3 (although that would probably mean less money in my bank account).

I went downtown last night to try and catch up with some people. I ended up not finding them ( *sad face* ), but I did catch up with some other people who I hadn't seen in quite a while. It was already late but we went to a local pub until last call. We then started walking north and I wasn't really sure where we were going. We landed at the back door of another bar and were just hanging around there for a little bit. There was another group of people standing nearby and we were waiting for them to leave (and someone I was with kind of almost got in a fight with them). After they left, someone opened the door where we were standing and let us. We had to walk through a kitchen and down some stairs to the lower floor of a bar that was at this point really dimly lit. I couldn't help but note the Prohibition Era auro that I was getting from this scenario. It probably helps that there's something about that era that I think is really awesome. The Great Gatsby is one of the few books that I liked reading in grade school...not to mention that was the best fashion era of all time (yes, I realize how gay that sounds :P). We were there until around 3:30 or 4 in the morning drinking, dancing, conversing), after which I walked about a mile and a half slightly under dressed for the weather. This was an unexpectedly fun night and luckily, I didn't have to work today.

Honestly, I wish there was a Speakeasy kind of bar here. That would be so awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty cool! I was in an "after hours bar" out there once, probably 20 years ago. It was much the same, only on the second floor of a closed bar. I smelled like cigarette smoke for the rest of my weekend visit!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete