Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Long-Shot Southward

One of the first things that caught my notice this morning was a Facebook status from a friend of mine in Wilmington, North Carolina. He is going to Brazil next Summer...when they are hosting the freaking World Cup. My response: "I officially hate you. Jelly..." I said it flippantly as I always do when I hear people going to places and events that I'd love to go to. Yeah, he invited me to go. His cousin is already going with him and he said he'd love to go with a group of people. I immediately got excited at the prospect. 

I've never been out of the States...EVER. I always though my first trip abroad would be to some place in Europe, but I would be perfectly fine with Brazil. Especially given that it is during the FIFA World Cup. Not that I would necessarily be going to any games, but even parking myself in one of the bars to see a game in that atmosphere would be amazing and well worth the trip. It's a good thing this trip isn't happening any time soon because I'd be woefully unable to go. I've already missed a big trip a bunch of my fraternity brothers made to Oktoberfest a year or two ago. I hope I won't miss this too.

I have this nasty habit of setting goals, long term and short term, and missing them by a mile and then being filled with regret. Regret, to me, is a 4-letter word, not to mention one of the worst feelings I ever feel (and I feel it on a regular basis). hopefully, not this time.

I told this friend that if I could get the stars to align, I'd be in. So I have a year to get my ducks in a row...and there are a lot of ducks. The work begins today.

Besides which, I have no intention of missing out on the opportunity for cute Brazilian guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment