Monday, August 22, 2011

The Unwashed Masses

I live in a college town and school started here today. We all know what this means: tons of wide-eyed and clueless freshmen. Last week was when they were moving into the dorms. To some degree I was out pretty much every night that week. I have to say it was pretty funny seeing battalions of them going from one apartment complex to another in search of some source of alcohol or a party.I think I can honestly say I wasn't like that as a freshman. First semester, I wasn't really a partier. Second semester I was pledging a fraternity so I knew where the party was and from whom I could get "supplies." I lucked out.

I stopped in 7-11 Saturday night and on my way out, some guy asked me if I wanted to earn a quick ten bucks. I know that sounds really dirty, but that's not where this story is going. My assumption was that this underage guy wanted me to get some booze for his mates and I told him I was in a hurry to meet some people (which wasn't a lie actually). Of course there was also the possibility that he was working for the cops and I could have been busted for "aiding the delinquency of a minor" or something like that, but I didn't think about that until after the fact. 

I also heard a story from someone I work with. She was looking for her keys in her car for a while (it was dark) and she was being hassled by a person or two who were hoping she would give them or ride or something like that. I have to say that was pretty stupid since she could have been a serial killer for all they knew. 

One last story. I was walking home when someone I knew drove by me. I was almost home so I just kept walking even though he offered to drive me the rest of the way (I had pretty eaten badly anyway so I needed the cardio). As he kept driving down the hill, a bunch of kids decided that would be a good time to cross the street and the idiots almost got hit and it would have been their own fault.

Granted that in these stories it may not have been all freshmen, but the likelihood is that many of them were. Upperclassmen don't act like this (at least not nearly as much).

*eyeroll* These kids have so much to learn (and I'm talking about out of the classroom).

P.S. I probably would have made a "fresh-meat" joke in there somewhere, but I feel old enough to where that just creepy.

1 comment:

  1. I've spent a fair amount of time moving freshmen into those dorms and watching them stroll the streets at night (yeah, I recognize the picture, email me, I'll show you a couple of mine). But I do love it out there. I hope the kids learn fast.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete