Monday, January 2, 2012

Goals (Addendum)

I forgot to mention something fairly major that I want to do this year: more reading of political/history books. Almost all of this 2011's reading was fiction (2.5 volumes from "A Song of Ice & Fire," as well as "The Hobbit" and "The Return of the King," etc.). I did manage to read "The Art of War" and part of "The Republic" which I'm happy about, but those were the only real world type books that I read this year. I don't have any specific books, but generally, this is what I have in mind:

President Theodore Roosevelt
-the Teddy Roosevelt administration (he was known as a trust-buster, which is what I wish we had right now)
-books about the nation's founding
-books about the Constitution
-something written by Doris Kearns Goodwin, a presidential historian (specifically "A Team of Rivals" which is about Lincoln...a film is supposedly being made from it also)

I need to give this a bit more thought before heading to a bookstore. Yes I know this makes me a huge dork, but that's a badge of honour as far as I'm concerned. Also, remember that I majored in political science so this stuff is my bread and butter. Also, since some of the goals I mentioned involved starting my career and working in politics, it certainly helps to have as much knowledge of this stuff as possible, especially in an election year. I used to know a lot more than I do now. Time to get some of those smarts back.

I hope what ever goals you have this year, you accomplish them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment