Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Anti-Aging Superfoods

Every once-in-a-while, I go onto a fitness website to learn some new stuff. I was just on Men's Fitness where I found an article about 5 anti-aging superfoods. Here is what it had to say:


Broccoli
Or other cruciferous veggies like cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy, kale, and Brussels sprouts. They’re great because they have chemicals in them that help detoxify the body and prevent cancer.
Eggs
A powerful source of protein, they cost just pennies each. Many people think eating eggs increases blood cholesterol. Not true. Eggs contain choline, a B vitamin shown to reduce inflammation in the brain, which may lesson the chance of developing Alzheimer’s. And these protein powerhouses protect your bones and fight frailty, too. Antioxidants and other nutrients in egg yolks help prevent macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness, and protect the retina from UV sun damage.
Beets
You know to eat your greens, but you have to eat your reds, too. Beets help dilate blood vessels, which improves blood flow throughout the body. They’re also packed with iron, which helps deliver oxygen throughout the body and ward off anemia.
Blueberries
A recent study out of the City of Hope Hospital found that blueberries might have the power to combat tumor growth. Its antioxidants can help fight the free radicals that cause cancer. Other purple-colored foods—such as purple potatoes, blood oranges, and eggplant—provide a similar anthocyanin benefit.
Tomatoes
They’re packed with lycopene, a redcarotene that’s extremely protective against colon, lung, skin, and prostate cancers. It’s also been shown to lower the risk of heart disease, cataracts, and macular degeneration.
Add these five superfoods to your grocery list to reverse aging.

I'm particularly happy to see eggs on this list because A) I eat about 18 eggs a week (I LOVE eggs) and B) my grandmother had Alzheimer's so it may run in my family. However, that's the only of these 5 that are regularly in my diet. I guess I'll start putting some blueberries in my oatmeal and shoving some tomatoes down my throat. Beets and broccoli probably just aren't going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment