Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Change of Mind...Maybe

I was downtown at a bar watching the Green Bay Packers play (and defeat) the Chicago Bears two weeks ago with one of my managers and two other guys. I forget exactly what we were talking about, but one of the other guys said something to the effect of using the word "gay" in a derogatory manner. Yeah, I know this happens all the time. I paused for a split second thinking of how to react. Before I got the chance my manger said something like "Why does it have to be gay?" This is pretty much what I was about to say. He said it with something of a smile on his face.

I guess I should put his reaction into better context. Some months ago, HE used the word "gay" in a derogatory manner in my presence. The general manager and I both got on his case about it (even though the GM was involved, it wasn't a situation where his job was in jeopardy, we were using it more as a teaching moment). Without going into too much detail, I gave the arguments for not using that word in that context that you usually hear: it's offensive, it implies that being gay is bad even if that isn't how you meant it, etc. Since then, he hasn't used that word (at least not around me).

So back to the present. The way he said it, without me saying anything, yet with something of a smile on his face, I'm not sure if he was standing up for me (even though I was not directly being addressed) or if he was making a joke (which isn't really how I want to phrase that, but I can't think of a better way). I'm not really sure how to read the situation, although I know this guy isn't a homophobe. Maybe I have actually had a positive influence on someone's views of what gay people go through. Or maybe I'm doing my usual thing and reading into this too much.

2 comments:

  1. The important thing is that people are starting to take notice and say something about it. I don't think you've read too much into it, but perhaps over-analyzed it? LOL

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over-analyzing sounds like my M.O. There was a time when I had zero self-awareness. I went from that to having way too much and analyzing things to the Nth degree. No happy mediums with me.

    -Rob

    ReplyDelete