Friday, June 3, 2011

Class Dismissed

What did I learn from X-Men: First Class?

-French sounds sexy, even when you are using it to threaten someone's life.

-Michael Fassbender, who played Erik Lensherr/Magneto is a total hottie. The name is probably unfamiliar, but maybe this will jog your memory:

Fassbender from "300"
-Nicholas Hoult, who played Hank McCoy/Beast (he's British) can do a hell of an American accent. Also, he makes glasses look hot.

Nicholas Hoult
Films set in the 60's (but filmed much later like this one was) have a really cool look to them.

The powers and stuff are really cool, and it's what really drew me to the X-Men as a kid. After all, who wouldn't want to be able to fly, be super strong, move things with your mind, or be psychic. I'm not a kid anymore and even though I still find that stuff awesome, I get it on a different level. Being persecuted just for being different and the way you were born is something all too many of us can relate to, in more ways than one. That thought crossed my mind several times while I was in the theatre. Even though I had made the connection before (having seen the other films, the television show, and the comic books), this film which takes place when humanity first discovers the existence of Mutants really hit the message home...which I did not expect in my excitement to see it.

All of that serious stuff aside, it was a great film and even if you have never even heard of the X-Men before you should see it. It was a hell of an experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment