Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Work Tales: He Just Doesn't Get It

I was at work a few days ago when this guy CJ asked me a question which annoyed me. He asked me (and I'm paraphrasing), "So you're telling me that if Eva Longoria was in front of you, you would feel nothing?" This guy is young, naive, and pretty ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I think Eva is really hot. I guess what this guy doesn't realize is that there is a difference between finding someone attractive and actually being attracted to them. Hell, I think most people don't make that distinction.

Anyway, my response to his question was this (again, paraphrasing), "So you're telling me that if Taye Diggs was in front of you, you would feel nothing?" His answer was some form of "no," which is pretty much what I expected. I wish I could remember how adamant (or not) his answer was, but I don't remember his physical response being that bad. Obviously, my point in asking that question was to say "We're different. Deal with it and move on." I don't want to make it sound like I think he is particularly homophobic, since I don't think that. After he said no, I asked him why he would bother asking me about being attracted to women. I didn't really get an answer, but I said to him he would do well to think before asking such a stupid question. Hopefully, he actually thought about it, but I won't really hold my breath on that one. I guess empathy is something that comes along with maturity...which this guy is severely lacking in.

I guess I can sum it all up by saying I get frustrated by stupid questions really easily. People are attracted to what they're attracted to. This guy knows I'm gay so why bother asking me if I'm attracted to a woman?

This probably sounded like a lot of nonsense so I'm sorry bout that (I'm in a slight hurry because of work).

No comments:

Post a Comment