Friday, May 13, 2011

The Power of Music: An Extra Push

I did not set myself up well for a second jogging session today. I went 1.5 miles this morning before work. No big deal, this part was planned. Where it all went wrong was at work where I started eating a lot of rubbish while at work. Luckily not to the point that I was about to pop (been there before though), but I was feeling a bit on the heavy side. That combined with somewhat sore glutes from this morning (and a 2 mile walk the night before) made me think twice before going another 1.5 miles. I decided to go for it. I didn't get far before it started to not feel so good, but I hit a stride and it was okay for the most part. The iPod I got a few weeks back helped. I have a playlist that I use for running 1) to get the fact that I'm running out of my head as much as possible and 2) the music gets my blood flowing. This second part was crucial today because just when I was about to give up from exhaustion and just walk the rest of the way, these two songs came up that kept me going (actually I accelerated, and it was mostly uphill at this point). The first was from the third X-Men film (the scene in the house where Jean kills Xavier...sorry if I ruined that for anyone) and the second was from "The Two Towers" (the scene where the Rohirrim charge down the hill towards the end of the film). These are two pieces of music that always get me excited. Sometimes, the huge effect that music has on me is a negative. Today, however, it definitely worked for me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that music can help your workout. It can fire you up, but for me, it never brings me down! I love my music, or I'd hit the DELETE key.

    I need to get exercising...time to build a playlist!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete